Saint Paul Minnesota The most livable city in America.
Go To Search
Film and Photo Permits

film permit photo.JPG


  • A permit is required for all commercial film/video taping and still photography conducted on ALL Parks and Recreation property, in the City of Saint Paul. Permits are issued by the Parks Permit Office under the authority of Section 170.04 of the Code of Ordinances and Chapter 2, Section 3, Item B of the Rules and Regulations for Saint Paul Parks.
  • A permit is not required for non-commercial filming/photography conducted solely for personal or family use or for news purposes, unless filming/photography will be impeding access to public property or if filming/photography is conducted at the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory.
  • Liability insurance is required with the City of Saint Paul listed as additional insured for all commercial film/photo shoots.  Insurance Certificates must be submitted to Parks and Recreation at least 7 days prior to your event, or your event may be cancelled.
  • Organizations claiming tax exempt status must submit a completed ST3 form prior to requesting a permit.  (This tax exempt number must be issued by the State of MN and not by the IRS Department of Treasury).
  • Permit holders are responsible for adhering to all Rules and Regulations for Saint Paul parks and complying with the City's Ordinances.  Failure to comply with the terms of your permit may result in revocation of the permit and/or the inability to obtain future permits.
  • A permit is required for each day you shoot and the permit holder is required to have a copy of the permit on location during the entire time of shoot.
  • Permit holders are responsible for the cleanup and restoration of the site and ensuring the area is returned to its original condition.  Work and repair costs done to the site due to damage will be assessed to the permit holder.
  • Fees listed below may vary if additional services and/or other expenses are required. Examples include public safety personnel, meter hooding, barricades or road closures, facility rentals or assistance from other city departments. Individual department fees will be assessed accordingly.
  • A cancellation processing fee will be charged, as per the Department’s Refund Policy, on all film/photo shoots which are cancelled. The rest of the permit fee is refundable. If a permit is issued within 48 hours of the film/photo shoot, and the shoot is cancelled, the permit fee is not refundable.
  • Application for Filming and Commercial Photo Shoots will not be considered if not received at least 10 days prior to intended shoot

    Any change to the original permit date, location, time, etc. will be assessed a change fee.


Photo/Film Permit Application
Photo/Film Fee Schedule
Photo/Film Contact Information
Photo/Film Ordway Release Form
Liability Insurance Requirement
ST3 Tax Exempt Status Form
Return to Parks and Permits Page

Home | Contact | Site Map | Accessibility | Disability Access | Policies & Practices | Copyright Notices | Powered by CivicPlus